Author Topic: Problem installing Zero Hour  (Read 9614 times)

olosv446

Problem installing Zero Hour
« on: October 01, 2003, 09:52:24 AM »
OK, this is my problem (well, the one that relates to gaming, at least):

When I run the installer program, I get past the starting-up of the install shield wizard. Then i get an error message that says this: "CDKey has encountered a problem and needs to close". and I have no choice but to quit the installer. I've tried deactivating all unnecessary programs (ICQ, firewall, LF connection keeper etc) but it doesn't help. Can anyone think of a solution to this, I was kind of looking forward to continuing harassing my friends with new GLA units...:-)

I'm well within the recommended system specs, have upgraded drivers for just about everything, and have never had any problems with Generals, except of course being overrun by suidcide bombers, but that's a different story=)

Offline Doc Nyar

• When I call your name, be sure to duck...
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
  • No one knows a lot, but combined we do
Re:Problem installing Zero Hour
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 10:39:25 AM »
Try to do a complete re-install of Generals. One thing you could try is not to upgrade, but install Generals, then Zero hour immidiately afterwards.

olosv446

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 11:44:51 AM »
I've tried that, doesn't help. I've also tried shutting down all unnecessary programs (antivirus etc) that are running, but it makes no difference=(

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 01:01:16 PM »
Does it provide you with an error number, or just the message you posted in your first post ?

And before re-installing, did you delete all files (also from My Documents) ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 01:02:21 PM by Doc Nyar »

olosv446

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 01:14:51 PM »
Good point, I did leave my custom maps when I reinstalled. I'll remove them and try again! I get the above written error message, and after clicking oc "more information" I get this information:

"AppName: command and conquer generals zero hour_code.exe    AppVer: 1.2.0.117    ModName: nview.dll
ModVer: 6.13.10.3082    Offset: 00010003"

I can then click "technical information" (or something like that) and if i do I get another list of supposedly understandable data, but that list is about twice as long as I'm tall so I didn't paste it here...

Thanks for helping me!

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 02:22:11 PM »
I notice you have an Nvidia card. Could you go to your control panel and select the Nvidia tool. Make sure you disable Nview. It also may be running in your task bar. It should be the icon that represents Nvidia's logo.

What Nvidia card do you have and what drivers are you using ?

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 02:24:15 PM »
Another thing, make sure you've updated your virus scanner and make sure you boot from a anti virus boot floppy. Then try to scan your system. I've seen messages that some Nvidia DLL files could be corupted with a virus. Peforming the scan while in Windows has no use, as the virus is then already loaded and can't be detected.

olosv446

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 02:42:27 PM »
Ehhhm , now I'll, to my embarrasment, have to confess that I haven't created any anti virus boot discs. I'll punish myself for being an idiot a little later, in the meantime: is there anything I can do about it? I use Norton Antivirus.

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 02:54:57 PM »
First check if diabeling the Nview helps. Also make sure that no nvidia logo shows up in your taskbar.

What you could do is re-install Norton from CD (uninstall first). Once installed, update it and create a bootdisk. Make sure you install from CD, instead from harddrive. Reason being when it's installed from CD, it checks itself. When installed from harddrive, a virus may corrupt the setup file, making it not being detected by the virus scanner.

olosv446

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 04:23:13 PM »
*singing* Joy to the world...

It's working! What I did was I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers (v. 45.23), uninstalled Generals and removed all custom files as well, rebooted my computer, shut of all not absolutely necessary programs, reinstalled Generals, patched it to v. 1.06, then immediately installed Zero Hour. It works flawlewssly (so far, knock on wood...).

I'm still reinstalling Norton though, and this time I'm creating boot disks as well=)

Thanks a lot for all of your help! They really don't call you "Doc" for nothing:-)

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 04:38:52 PM »
You're welcome Olosv :) Hope you will stay visiting these forums :)

Happy gaming ;D

marianfaye13

Re: Problem installing Zero Hour
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
>:( Hi there this the problem:
 >:( i have a C&C Generals installer and have an error says

E:\Command & Conquer Generals.msi

>:( i want to install my game  :'( :'( :'(

:'( :'( :'(Please Help me :'(add me in YM here is my ID
avrack08
Thanks For Cooperation  ;D

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
Re: Problem installing Zero Hour
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
Do you have the original copy of the game ?