Author Topic: BattleLan in Generals  (Read 4433 times)

DuhChamp

BattleLan in Generals
« on: February 20, 2005, 12:08:56 am »
This post coincides with my other post (Direct Connect in Generals).  As an alternative to Direct Connect, me and my buddies downloaded BattleLan, and opened up the 6111-6112 ports needed to run the program.  I allowed my windows firewall to run the program, and my buddies turned off their windows firewall.  I understand BattleLan was originally used for WarCraft 3, but it supposedly works with other games.  Whats weird is when we enter the LAN lobby in Generals, we can all see each other and chat.  However, when any of us host, and someone attempts to join, it says connection timed out on the connectors screen, but on the host's screen they appear in the game.  Several questions regarding this issue?

1.) Does anyone know why this is happening?
2.) Does anyone have or know of any programs that simulate a LAN like BattleLan?
3.)Do I have to open up ports for Generals on my router?

I even turned my PC into a DMZ server, which should allow complete access.  My friends, however, did not. Just some more information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
Re:BattleLan in Generals
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 06:16:26 pm »
Direct Connect with Generals was ment to be used on LAN envirounments. So if you want to play it over the internet you need a 3th party programm to simulate a LAN enviroument instead of the WAN you are using.

In my opinion, using a VPN is the best way to do this. But then it's not an easy way. So mayby a more important question, why don't you use th eofficial online lobbies ?

To your questions. Look for the link in your other topic. besides that a VPN or the official servers. If you are playing online you don't need to forward any ports I thought, only if you are hosting your own server.
Expect anything, and life will become boring...