Author Topic: Motherboard Fried!!  (Read 7561 times)

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
Motherboard Fried!!
« on: July 26, 2003, 04:44:19 pm »
  My system died on me this morning. I had left it in working condition this morning for a little bit and when I came back it was powered down. I could not start the system back up so I opened up the case and looked around. It turns out that one of the capacitors burst and fried an area around the CPU. I have ordered a new motherboard today. I should hopefully get it replaced by the end of next week.  All I have now is my wife's PC which is too slow to do anything, but internet browsing and email. I think I am going to take a break from using the computer for the next few days. I ordered an el cheapo ECS K755SA pro with and AMD 2000XP processor for $116. Not a bad price and a little better than my last motherboard.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 06:11:50 pm by number6 »

Offline Doc Nyar

• When I call your name, be sure to duck...
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
  • No one knows a lot, but combined we do
Re:Motherboard Fried!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 04:51:52 pm »
That sucks, but at least it has given you the opportunity to buy something new :)

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 09:01:33 pm »
That's how it should be done, you keep the good computer and give your wife the one that is to slow to do anything really. . . . . ;)

It's never fun when hardware breaks down, the one thing you can't do anythings about. But a few days without a computer isn't that bad for time to time, hope you are gon'na enjoy your new PC. :)
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

RotteVis

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 09:06:41 pm »
What kind of brand motherboard do u have? It?s a common problem with MSI and Abit, cause they used a bad range of capasitors (they have amitted this problem), they have a special warranty service for this problem, so mail them.

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 01:37:25 am »
I guess I could try the warranty route to replace the bad motherboard, but I am still going to get the new board because I don't want to be without my system for weeks. Thanks for the advice though ;) . I will definitely pursue it.

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 01:42:28 am »
That's how it should be done, you keep the good computer and give your wife the one that is to slow to do anything really. . . . . ;)

It's never fun when hardware breaks down, the one thing you can't do anythings about. But a few days without a computer isn't that bad for time to time, hope you are gon'na enjoy your new PC. :)

Well at least my wife's motherboard has lasted for years. This motherboard was little over a year old. Your right though, there is nothing you can do to stop a hardware failure like the one I had.  I just can't play any games on this PC :( . I was also going to buy Battlefield 1942 next wee, but will now have to postpone that purchase. Already spent $116 I did not plan to this month.

RotteVis

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 03:02:04 am »
By the way, do your capacitors look like these?

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 03:13:55 am »
Yes, that's what I saw. Lovely isn't it?

Riqtam

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 04:11:53 pm »
Mate, you bought  this motherboard  + an AMD 2000XP
for 116$ ONLY?????

Am I the only one who noticed that?
That's really cheap!
Where did u buy it from?

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 04:25:26 pm »
I ordered it from www.micropro.com. I have ordered stuff from them before and have never been dissapointed. They are located in Ohio. Another good online dealer is www.googlegear.com. Before you buy though you should check on a merchant's status at www.resellerratings.com.

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 01:56:50 am »
I just installed the new motherboard and so far so good. The onboard Ethernet adapter is giving me problems though. The driver refuses to install, for now anyway.

RotteVis

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 06:23:12 pm »
Which OS do you use?

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 09:16:28 pm »
Windows 98. I was able to get everything working. That ethernet driver just started working after a reboot.