Author Topic: Re: Lockup issues! Post here please  (Read 353424 times)

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Lockup issues! Post here please
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2001, 12:39:00 pm »
Alley, I honestly do not know how things will react.

About the mods..yes...I have noticed, that is why I posted *sigh and then a big silence*   :(

But I guess after these posts, they will reply.. I will give it a bit more time and then will post a new topic...

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 07-26-2001).]

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2001, 01:06:00 pm »
alley_cat,

Thanks for the acknowledgment, and It is no problem. I enjoy helping people (as best I can anyway) who truly want to get the game working. I have had this type of problem before, so I know how frustrating it can be.

nyar,

When I get home from work I will post a copy of my easy report in this thread.

Duke_Leeeto

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2001, 02:06:00 pm »
Well, Im not gonna bother to post an Easy_EA report as I have posted enough of them already. Im not downloading the latest driver again for Rage Fury Pro 128 after my last fiasco. Apparently, there is a VIRUS in that driver! That much I am certain. When I got it, my friends told me they received e-mails from me that contained a virus, but I did not even send them! All this happened when I downloaded that driver!

Also, I had to reformat my computer as my Explorer had a fatal error and most of my programs were lagging badly. . .

Nyar, I tried all of your suggestions up above, they were some of the first things I did, just common computer sense mostly, but did not help.

I did play Skirmish, it did freeze on me, but after a much longer lenght of time. (I made the game as long as possible) It froze around just past an hour.

I checked my DirectX8 files and I noticed something strange even tho it says there are no problems. Many of my files are not year 2000. Many are 1999, some are even 1998! I also have 1 file that is 2001. Quite strange, but I would not be surprised if my DirectX 8 has something to do with this. On one of my comps at school, I did not install DirectX 8 and kept the older version of DirectX and it ran slow, but was playable. The good thing about it was it never froze for hours on end!

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2001, 02:15:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply Duke. One other question though, what OS are you running ?

btw, this makes the score:

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 2000 or newer game runs => 1

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game does not run => 3

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game runs => 0

btw Duke, could not it be the virus which messed up your comp (just a thought)?

*disapointed* Nyar...

jeromeku

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2001, 02:20:00 pm »
Hey guys I just wanted to throw out a thanks for your help as well. It is a nice thing you do for ppl by trying to help out.  Too bad Westwood would not appreciate such detail & determination on your parts to help us.

number6 - I would have to disagree with you.  Westwood does have some responsibility considering the game is their code.  Though thats not to say other software vendors are not to blame either.  They can not just release something and expect all driver/software updates to fix their game when even their software has bugs that could cause these problems.  As users we can only debug so far, but Westwood could try to replicate the problem & debug down to the last line of code causing it.  Though in this case It is tough to replicate so It is a matter of how much you care about losing just two customers as a company.  

BTW - Westwood support never even noticed that my dxdiag files were dated 1999.  Proving either they did not truly look at it, or they know something about that report none of us understand.

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2001, 02:30:00 pm »
jeromeku, with what you just said about DirectX, does that make the following score ?

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 2000 or newer game runs => 1

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game does not run => 4 <=

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game runs => 0

*disapointed* Nyar...

Duke_Leeeto

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2001, 02:37:00 pm »
My operating system is Windows 98. Why the heck do I have files as old as 1998 in my DirectX 8? is not it supposed to be new???

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2001, 02:41:00 pm »
Duke, thanks again for replying.
Were trying to figure out the directX issue.
Im having Windows ME and all my files are 2000 or older. All Windows 98 systems (so far) have 1999 or older, but even Windows 2000 has files 1999 or older, so my guess It is not just OS depending. In your case, were even talking about a fresh re-install of Windows...

Im starting to wonder if tHere is a difference in DirectX 8 on the Dune cd and the one directly from the Microsoft site... but hey, that is just lame old me...

*very disapointed* Nyar...

jeromeku

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2001, 02:46:00 pm »
Nyar,
  I installed Directx 8.0a from Microsofts site myself.  I figured the CD version would be older.

Though that might be a sticking point here.  I wonder if there are a particular build of dlls that Emperor works with properly.  Would explain why Westwood can not recreate these problems (if they have really tried).

jeromeku

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2001, 02:50:00 pm »
Also here is a thread with the matrox ppl going on right now about EB4D.

http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum10/HTML/003139.html

Devinoch-WS

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2001, 02:51:00 pm »
Im not tech support. I do not know how many times I have to say this before someone hears me. You can ask me tech support questions all you want and the answer is still going to be "I do not know." I do not do tech support, I have never claimed to do tech support.
Dan-WS is from tech support and he is working to help people, but when I glanced through the troubleshooting posts, I could tell most of those people have not contacted tech support. Old drivers, a task manager bar that is full of things -- start with tech support.

do not just post things on the message board and assume you are going to get all the answers revealed to you. Work with tech support to solve the problem. do not expect an instant answer, but they will work with you to solve your problem. If they can not figure out the problem, it gets elevated, until eventually, if NO ONE can figure it out, it gets passed up to producer Chris Longpre, who is the last step. But right now, Chris has very few problems.

You may not like the way we do things, but 90% of peoples problems can be solved by the things listed in the FAQ, which is why the first communication is always an autoresponse. If that does not help, send a second email and you will have a live tech support person working with you. Also, your problem will be entered into the database and that database helps us identify and fix problems. This is why our system is in place.

Devinoch

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2001, 02:58:00 pm »
so jeromeku, where do we take it to know ?
We might need more users responding on the DirectX issue we have to have a bigger crowd.

Nyar...

Duke_Leeeto

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2001, 03:14:00 pm »
Nyar, we likely will not get a reply from anyone about DirectX, simply because, why would ppl bother? If the game works fine for them, why bother trying to help others solve a problem by wasting time looking at your DirectX files? I know, myself, if the game worked fine I would not bother at all reading this post, I would be playing on WOL right now. . .

The world we live in is like that. Westwood, and the gamers of this game, seem to have the "snooze you lose attitude." Truth is, I doubt ww cares about the ppl that have problems. Why waste time helping a minority like us when they can have fun with the majority of ppl, that the game works fine, by playing it, and making those players happy aswell?

WW ppl are only human, I can not really blame them. If I had a choice beteewn playing a game or checking throughout endless code, for endless hours, for a little, tiny, punny performance/logic error that is causing this, well, I know what I would choose. . .

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2001, 03:20:00 pm »
I do not think you need to worry too much about the different dates of files in directX, I will take a look at mine when I get home tonight.

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2001, 03:22:00 pm »
Duke, I agree to a surtain point with what you are saying. You may have seen my post to the mods in here. Dispite the fact that Im still a bit disapointed, it still stands that I will continue to defend WW.

Tech support aint an easy job, especially if you can not recreate the problem. This DirectX issue might shed some new light on the issue, but even then, we need to have patience.

I can not give any advise in how to deal with this DirectX issue. For example, I do not know what happens if you delete the older files, then re-install DirectX again. I have therefore asked Devinoch to pass it on to tech support. I know he will, so please have some patience.

Again, It is not flaming you, I even agree with you to some point, so please do not take it as a flaming msg, just trying te help (both sides for that matter).

Nyar...

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2001, 03:26:00 pm »
number6, Im not saying that It is the solution (or cause), but till now, It is still strange the game works on comps with files being from 2000 or newer and that it does not work on a comp with files from 1999 or older... that is why it would be good to have more people replying to the DirectX issue...

Nyar...

alley_cat

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2001, 03:31:00 pm »
Devinoch, that is quite a cruel thing to say. It seems like you did not read al we said.
A) When I first tried to send to the tech support my info through the EAsy program, I got a response saying that I should no longer send e-mails to there, but use the system that is on Westwood support site. I did that, I sent my EAsy report twice, once for each freezing problem I had. That was over a week ago, and still I did not even get an auto response. And the RAM is not the issue here since the game freezes even with minimum thing working in the background. You should not only conecntrate on my single report where it was after a long time of system use. So we come here to tell our problem and hope someone can solve it. Can you actually blame me?
And if Dan is the tech support, why are you the one posting and not he is? It is not that I do not want YOU to post, It is that if he is tech support, I will sure like to see him here.  :)
I think that I was very calm all along, tried everything possible that people suggested, and never flamed Westwood even once. The least I deserve is some sort of a response from tech support, do not you agree?

jeromeku

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2001, 03:33:00 pm »
Devinoch,
    I have been all the way through tech support already.  Though I think Im one of the few to come out knowing that Westwood support has a dumbfounded look on their faces after trying to solve my problem.  I have been suggested to the warranty department or I could send my box in so they can debug on it (Like I would trust them with my box out of my sight).  Chris only has a few issues, because well they close/delete tickets before they are truly solved (like mine).  Just do not get me started on them again.  

Nyar & number6 have been far more helpful than Westwood support.  In all fairness, even they are a bit perplexed by the problem.
Yet they have read my reports & posts and paid attention to detail.  Something Westwood support could learn.

alley_cat

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2001, 03:59:00 pm »
Just a news flash.
I got back home, downloaded the 1.05 driver from 3 diffrent places, and got the same message from the Windows Installer saying: "This language of this installation pack is not supported by your operating system"
My operating system supports completely both hebrew and english, so I really wonder what the problem is. All the sites I downloaded from are english ones.

Devinoch-WS

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2001, 04:04:30 pm »
Jerome, you truly are the exception to the rule. You are, to date, the only person whose case I have looked up who A) worked with tech support all the way through and B) we could not come up with a solution for.

Im going to talk to the producer about your issue later today, but honestly, you might want to consider sending us your box, simply because we could take a serious look at the problem and try and figure it out with the machine in front of us.

Devinoch

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2001, 04:10:30 pm »
Alley, how did you install the current driver  and where did you get it ??

Nyar...

jeromeku

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2001, 04:23:30 pm »
Devinoch,
   Im sorry but I have personally sensitive information on my workstation.  I have no time to reformat & clear it off or live without the use of the tools/applications I use.  I can not risk having the box come back broken, cuz of some Westwood employee who thought it ok to delete something. It is not an option.  I offered to actually meet you guys half way and bring it to the EA office (where tech support appears to come from) near San Mateo.  I even offered to run differing compiles of code that your programmers could come up with, and send any output.  Ergo... Once again proving my flexibility in trying to find a solution, but Westwood support only looking to wash their hands of a _real_ problem.

Since Westwood can not "trust" me with differing compiles of the code, I definitely can not "trust" them with my box.  So this is my last ditch effort at remaining a faithful Westwood customer (as I have been in the past), and It is relying a community of ppl who do not know anything about the Westwood code.  Devinoch... you have been a great help.  I sure hope they pay you & Dan well  :).

alley_cat

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2001, 04:28:30 pm »
you mean the 1.07?
Well, when I got my voodoo, the most updated version was 1.06, and than 1.07.
Those 2 versions I was able to install without any problem. The 1.07 extracts first files to some directory, than you press on setup.exe, the installer starts and installs all the needed things.
Maybe there was something wrong in the first place with the installer of the 1.05, which maybe only supported English OS, so the future versions of the drivers were fixed. Notice the sizes of the files:
1.05: 10 MB
1.06 and .07: something like 8 MB.

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2001, 05:54:30 am »
Alley, if you ask me, the drivers should be able to load, no matter what language you are running.

Anyway, I have just sent you the report for review, look it over and let me know what you think. I covers almost everything done and said here.

Nyar...

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2001, 07:43:30 am »
nyar,

Here is the easy report you requested from me earlier. Not sure if you still need it.

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card                    : 3dfx Voodoo3
     Video Driver                  : 3dfx16v3.drv
     Driver Version                : 4.11.01.1222

Sound Card                    : Creative SB Live! Value
     Sound Driver                  : emu10k1.vxd
     Driver Version                : 4.11.01.0711

DirectX                       : DirectX 8
     Operating System                Windows 98    4.10.1998

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name                 : tetleys

BIOS Info
     Name                          : Award
     Version                       : Award Modular BIOS v4.60PGA
     PNP                           : Plug and Play BIOS
     Manufacturer                  : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count                     : 1
     CPU Type                      : 400 MHz AuthenticAMD AMD K6-III
                                     5 9 1

RAM                           : 255 MB Total
                                     138 MB Free
     Virtual RAM                   : 600 MB Total
                                     541 MB Free

Operating System              : Windows 98    4.10.1998

Default Browser               : Internet Explorer
     Version                       : 5.50.4522.1800

Temp Directory                : c:windowsTEMP
     Size                          : 95 MB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays            : 1

Current Mode (Primary)        : 1024x768 16
     Refresh Rate (Primary)        : Optimal refresh rate

Primary display device

Description                   : 3dfx Voodoo3
     Manufacturer                  : 3dfx Interactive, Inc..
     Video Memory                  : 16 MB

Main Driver                   : 3dfx16v3.drv
     Version                       : 4.11.01.1222
     Provider                      : 3dfx Interactive, Inc.

Supported Display Modes

|  16  |  256  | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits
     ---------------------------------------------------
     640 x 480|  *   |   *   |    *   |   *   |   *  
     800 x 600|      |   *   |    *   |   *   |   *  
     1024x 768|      |   *   |    *   |   *   |   *  
     1152x 864|      |   *   |    *   |   *   |   *  
     1280x1024|      |   *   |    *   |   *   |   *  
     1600x1200|      |       |        |       |      

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description                   : Creative SB Live! Value
     Manufacturer                  : Creative

Main Driver                   : emu10k1.vxd
     Version                       : 4.11.01.0711
     Provider                      :

Description                   : InterAct/3dfx SV-262 HammerHead Fx
     Driver                        : IAIJoy.VxD
     Version                       : 4.10.00.1998
     Attached                      : Yes

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info
     Version                       : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info
     Version                       : 4.08.00.0400
     Certified                     : Not certified

DirectSound Info
     Certified                     : Not certified

DirectPlay Info
     Version                       :

DirectInput Info

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size                    : 1238 KB
     Access Pattern                : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A
     Volume Name                   :
     Type                          : Floppy
     File System                   :
     Total Space                   : 0.00 KB
     Free Space                    : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter C
     Type                          : Fixed
     File System                   : FAT32
     Total Space                   : 5.99 GB
     Free Space                    : 1.91 GB

Drive Letter D
     Volume Name                   : NUMBER6_D
     Total Space                   : 2.79 GB
     Free Space                    : 391.76 MB

Drive Letter E
     Volume Name                   : NUMBER6_E
     Total Space                   : 9.86 GB
     Free Space                    : 1.42 GB

Drive Letter F
     Volume Name                   : EMPEROR1
     Type                          : CDRom
     File System                   : CDFS
     Total Space                   : 639.69 MB
     Sec/MB                        : Test not performed
     Detected Speed                : Test not performed

Drive Letter G
     Volume Name                   : ZIP-100
     Type                          : Floppy
     File System                   : FAT
     Total Space                   : 95.78 MB
     Free Space                    : 45.38 MB

Drive Letter H
     Type                          : CDRom
     File System                   :
     Total Space                   : 0.00 KB
     Sec/MB                        : Test not performed
     Detected Speed                : Test not performed

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description                   : Sylvania F76
     Manufacturer                  : Sylvania
     Max. Resolution               : 1280,1024

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description                   : Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Adapter(NC100 v2)
     Manufacturer                  : Network Everywhere
     Driver                        : NC100A.sys
     Provider                      : Microsoft
     Bound Protocols
          TCP/IP
               IP Address:  Obtained from provider
               IP Mask:     Obtained from provider

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description                   : PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
     Type                          : PS2

Keyboard Information

Description                   : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description                   :
     Driver                        :
     Provider                      :

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version                :
     Glide3 Version                :

OpenGL Info

Version                       : 4.0

----Task List-----------------------------------------------

msgsrv32.exe
mprexe.exe
blackd.exe
mmtask.tsk
Explorer
rpcss.exe
taskmon.exe
Systray
point32.exe
fmempro.exe
ptctrl.exe
iowatch.exe
imgicon.exe
blackice.exe
emperor battle for dune_ez.exe
ddhelp.exe

----Autoexec.bat--------------------------------------------

rem c:windowsCOMMANDMSCDEX.EXE /d:mscd001 /L :D

rem SET PATH=C:;C:PROGRA~1CREATIVESBLIVEDOSDRV

SET AVETRAIN=C:pave

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330  T6

SET CTSYN=C:WINDOWS

C:PROGRA~1CREATIVESBLIVEDOSDRVSBEINIT.COM

rem C:   ools_95guest

SET GRIP=C:GRAVISCORESO~1

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:GRAVISCORESO~1;C:JBuild~1javain

SET PATH=C:CYGNUSCYGWIN~1GCC-29~1.2BIN;%PATH%

----Config.sys----------------------------------------------

[common]

device=C:windowshimem.sys

device=C:windowsemm386.exe

rem device=C:CdExpertactcd.sys /d:mscd001

rem Device=<path>actcd.sys /D:xxxxxxxx [/P:xxx,yy] [/DMA:nn] [/UDMA:nn] [/V]

rem

rem /P:xxx,yy

rem  xxx specifies the IO port address in hex. xxx=1F0, 170, 1E8, or 168

rem  yy specifies the IRQ number in decimal. yy=14, 15, 10, 11, or 12

shell=C:command.com /e:4096 /p

X_CASE_START
X_CASE_DESCRIPTION: Every time I try to play an online game with someone I get a "Handshake Error" and get kicked back to the custom game selection or the multiplayer game selection screen in the case of a "quick" game. I have a Cable Modem which is connected directly to my network card and I always shut down my Firewall software (Black Ice Defender) before starting up Emperor. Why can not I play online? My cable modem is an GE Surfboard 3100D. After being kicked out of games I always check my speed at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ with the most demanding settings and my downstream is always around 1200 M per second and my upstream is always around 70 K per second.
X_CONTACT_FIRST_NAME: Eric
X_CONTACT_LAST_NAME: Feliu
X_GAME: Emperor: Battle for Dune
X_SERIAL_KEY: ---
X_OPERATING_SYSTEM: Windows 98   , Version 4.10, Build 1998
X_PROCESSOR: AMD K6-III
X_SPEED: 400 MHz
X_MMX: Yes
X_RAM: 255 MB
X_MANUFACTURER:
X_PRODUCT_ID:
X_VIDEO_CARD: 3dfx Voodoo3
X_DISPLAY_DRIVER: 4.11.01.1222
X_DISPLAY_DIRECTX: Not Certified, Hardware Support
X_DISPLAY_MEMORY: 5 MB
X_AUDIO_CERTIFIED: Not Certified
X_AUDIO_DRIVERS: emu10k1.vxd 4.11.01.0711
X_MODEM:
X_V_MANUFACTURER: 3dfx Interactive, Inc..
X_A_MANUFACTURER: Creative
X_CASE_END

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2001, 07:50:30 am »
nyar,

Here is all of my directx settings:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/26/2001, 19:09:23
       Machine name: tetleys
   Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998)  
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer:
       System Model:
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v4.60PGA
          Processor: AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor,  MMX,  3DNow, ~400MHz
             Memory: 256MB RAM
          Page File: 82MB used, 517MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 4.08.00.0400

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
      Display Tab 1: The file 3dfx16v3.drv is uncertified, which means that it has not been tested by Microsofts Windows Hardware Quality Labs.  You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device.
        Sound Tab 1: The file EMU10K1.VXD is uncertified, which means that it has not been tested by Microsofts Windows Hardware Quality Labs.  You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device.
          Music Tab: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
        Network Tab: No problems found.

------------------
DirectX Components
------------------
   ddraw.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 344064 bytes
 ddraw16.dll: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 28496 bytes
 ddrawex.dll: 4.87.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 24336 bytes
   ddraw.vxd: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 30469 bytes
  ddhelp.exe: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 41984 bytes
   dxapi.sys: 4.87.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 2416 bytes
    d3d8.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 1062400 bytes
 d3dref8.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 236544 bytes
   d3dim.dll: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 625936 bytes
d3dim700.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 872960 bytes
  d3dref.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 140800 bytes
 d3dramp.dll: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 590096 bytes
 d3drgbf.dll: 4.02.00.1054 English Final Retail 7/1/1997 13:06:42 58880 bytes
d3drg16f.dll: 4.02.00.1054 English Final Retail 7/1/1997 13:07:56 72192 bytes
   d3drm.dll: 4.06.02.0436 English Final Retail 1/8/1999 18:10:00 437008 bytes
  d3dxof.dll: 4.06.02.0436 English Final Retail 1/8/1999 18:10:00 107792 bytes
d3dpmesh.dll: 4.06.02.0436 English Final Retail 1/8/1999 18:10:00 87312 bytes
  dplayx.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 245760 bytes
dpmodemx.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 36864 bytes
dpwsockx.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 77824 bytes
dplaysvr.exe: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 45056 bytes
  dpnsvr.exe: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 69632 bytes
   dpnet.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 237568 bytes
dpnlobby.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 98304 bytes
dpnwsock.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 118784 bytes
 dpnaddr.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 90112 bytes
dpnmodem.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 110592 bytes
 dpvoice.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 282624 bytes
dpvsetup.exe: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 122880 bytes
  dpvvox.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 184320 bytes
  dpvacm.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 90112 bytes
  dinput.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 176128 bytes
 dinput8.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 204800 bytes
  dinput.vxd: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 10874 bytes
   dimap.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 102400 bytes
diactfrm.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 307200 bytes
   vjoyd.vxd: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 33361 bytes
  joyhid.vxd: 4.88.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 13055 bytes
     joy.cpl: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 155648 bytes
   gcdef.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 249856 bytes
  gchand.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 6144 bytes
     pid.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 40960 bytes
gameenum.sys: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/9/1999 07:00:00 10512 bytes
 hidgame.sys: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 12/8/1999 07:00:02 8880 bytes
  dsound.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 455680 bytes
dsound3d.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 1339392 bytes
  dsound.vxd: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 48171 bytes
  dswave.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 15360 bytes
   dsdmo.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 176128 bytes
dsdmoprp.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 66560 bytes
  dmusic.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 94208 bytes
dmusic16.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 11008 bytes
dmusic32.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 28672 bytes
  dmband.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 25600 bytes
dmcompos.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 59392 bytes
   dmime.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 168960 bytes
dmloader.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 30720 bytes
 dmstyle.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 110080 bytes
 dmsynth.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 130048 bytes
dmscript.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 78336 bytes
   dx7vb.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 600576 bytes
   dx8vb.dll: 4.08.00.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 1069056 bytes
 directx.cpl: 4.07.00.0700 English Final Retail 9/8/1999 16:55:02 112400 bytes
amstream.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 63488 bytes
 devenum.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 52224 bytes
  dxmasf.dll: 6.04.07.1117 English Final Retail 5/3/2001 16:20:44 957440 bytes
  mciqtz.drv: 4.00.96.0729 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 11776 bytes
mciqtz32.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 33792 bytes
 mpg2splt.ax: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 141312 bytes
    qcap.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 167936 bytes
     qdv.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 229888 bytes
    qdvd.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 344064 bytes
  quartz.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 956416 bytes
  quartz.vxd: 4.00.00.0501 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 5672 bytes
 strmdll.dll: 4.01.00.3925 English Final Retail 4/20/2001 13:14:22 251904 bytes
  vidx16.dll: 0.00.00.0000 EnglishFinal Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 10240 bytes
 iac25_32.ax: 2.00.05.0054 English Final Retail 6/23/2000 14:06:08 192000 bytes
  ir41_32.ax: 4.51.16.0003 English Final Retail 6/22/2000 13:49:24 842240 bytes
 ir41_qc.dll: 4.30.62.0001 English Final Retail 4/10/2001 14:51:08 120320 bytes
ir41_qcx.dll: 4.30.64.0001 English Final Retail 4/10/2001 14:51:08 338432 bytes
 ir50_32.dll: 5.2819.15.0056 English Final Retail 6/23/2000 10:36:48 745984 bytes
 ir50_qc.dll: 5.00.63.0038 English Final Retail 1/23/1998 05:05:26 198144 bytes
ir50_qcx.dll: 5.00.64.0038 English Final Retail 1/23/1998 05:05:26 181760 bytes
   ivfsrc.ax: 5.11.15.0056 English Final Retail 6/22/2000 18:11:56 145408 bytes
mswebdvd.dll: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 245248 bytes
      ks.sys: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 117056 bytes
  ksproxy.ax: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 116224 bytes
  ksuser.dll: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 4096 bytes
  stream.sys: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 42016 bytes
mspclock.sys: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 4704 bytes
 mskssrv.sys: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 6368 bytes
  swenum.sys: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 3584 bytes
   mstee.sys: 4.90.3000.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 4896 bytes
 mpg2splt.ax: 6.03.01.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 141312 bytes

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: 3dfx Voodoo3
     Manufacturer: 3dfx Interactive, Inc..
        Chip type:
         DAC type:
        Device ID: EnumPCIVEN_121A&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_0057121A&REV_01BUS_00&DEV_08&FUNC_00
   Display Memory: 15.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit)(optimal refresh rate)
          Monitor: Sylvania F76
  Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
      Driver Name: 3dfx16v3.drv
   Driver Version: 4.11.01.1222 (English)
      DDI Version: 7
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 1/17/2000 17:20:10, 403556 bytes
 Driver Certified: No
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: *vdd
         Mini VDD: 3dfxv3.vxd
    Mini VDD Date: , 0 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71CFA-4345-11CF-6C75-5620A5C2C935}
        Vendor ID: 0x121A
        Device ID: 0x0005
        SubSys ID: 0x0057121A
      Revision ID: 0x0001
         Registry: OK
     DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Enabled
       AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result:
  D3D Test Result:
  AGP Test Result:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
      Description: DirectSound (SB Live! Wave Out [BC00])
        Device ID: PCIVEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00201102&REV_05BUS_00&DEV_0A&FUNC_00
  Manufacturer ID: 2
       Product ID: 104
             Type: VXD
      Driver Name: EMU10K1.VXD
   Driver Version: 4.11.01.0711 (English)
 Driver Certified: No
    Date and Size: 4/3/2000 01:07:00, 265293 bytes
      Other Files: emu10k1.vxd
  Driver Provider: Creative
   HW Accel Level: Standard
Sound Test Result:

-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
 DLS Path: C:WINDOWSsystem32driversgm.dls
  Version: 1.00.16.0002
    Ports:
           Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
           MIDI Mapper, Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
           Creative S/W Synth, Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
           A: SB Live! MIDI Synth, Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
           B: SB Live! MIDI Synth, Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
           SB Live! MIDI Out [BC00], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, NoDLS, External
       SB Live! MIDI In [BC00], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Input, No DLS, External
Music Test Result:

-------------
Input Devices
-------------
      Device Name: InterAct/3dfx SV-262 HammerHead Fx
      Driver Name: IAIJOY.VxD
   Driver Version: 4.10.00.1998 (English)
    Date and Size: 2/7/2000 21:00:00, 26661 bytes

Poll w/ Interrupt: Yes

-------------
Input Drivers
-------------
  Registry Key: msjstick.drv<0005>
        Active: Yes
      DeviceID: VIRTUAL*CTL7010PCI&VEN_1102&DEV_7002&SUBSYS_00201102&REV_05&BUS_00&DEV_0A&FUNC_01
Matching DevID: MODEMWAVERockwell_HCF_56K_Speakerphone_PCI_Modem
 16-bit Driver: msjstick.drv
 32-bit Driver: serwave.vxd

----------------------------
DirectPlay Service Providers
----------------------------
Serial Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpmodemx.dll (4.08.00.0400)
Modem Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpmodemx.dll (4.08.00.0400)
Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpwsockx.dll (4.08.00.0400)
IPX Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpwsockx.dll (4.08.00.0400)
DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnwsock.dll (4.08.00.0400)
DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnwsock.dll (4.08.00.0400)
DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnmodem.dll (4.08.00.0400)
DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnmodem.dll (4.08.00.0400)
DirectPlay Test Result:

-------------------------
DirectPlay Lobbyable Apps
-------------------------
Age of Empires II (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: Empires2.ICD (0.14.14.0914)
Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: age2_x1.icd (0.07.22.0627)
Earth 2150 (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: EARTH2150.icd (2.08.07.0000)
baldurs Gate (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: BGMain.exe (1.00.00.0001)
Duel (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: duel.exe (4.07.00.0700)
DPSlots (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: dpslots.exe (4.07.00.0700)
SimpleConnect (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: simpleconnect.exe (4.07.00.0700)
StagedConnect (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: stagedconnect.exe (4.07.00.0700)
ChatConnect (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: chatconnect.exe (4.07.00.0700)
Midtown Madness (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: midtown.exe (1.00.00.0000)

------------------------------------
Inactive Display Entries in Registry
------------------------------------
 None

----------------------------------
Inactive Sound Entries in Registry
----------------------------------
 Card name: Rockwell HCF Speakerphone Modem Serial Wave Device
    Driver: serwvdrv.drv
 Card name: Rockwell HCF Speakerphone Modem Serial Wave Device
    Driver: serwvdrv.drv

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2001, 08:56:30 am »
number6, thanks for the files, as always, any help is appreciated  :)

One question, do you experiance any lock up problems ?

Nyar...

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2001, 09:06:30 am »
nyar,

only when playing online. Every time a game ends online my computer either freezes or reboots. Weird. I use a cable modem and I think Westwood did not optimize the game to work with broadband connections. I do not know for sure what the problem is. As you can see in my directx listing, a few files are dated 1998. Every time you upgrade directx not all files have newer versions that is why I think It is OK to have files that are dated older. The direct 3D specific stuff should always get updated.

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Administrator
  • Probation
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2001, 09:11:30 am »
Thanks for the update.

About the directX stuff, I fugured that, but facts were telling something different, till now   :( (although you also suffer freeze, but in a different game mode   :) )

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 07-26-2001).]

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2001, 09:32:30 am »
Nyar,

I just had a thought that may be helpful. On my system I do not allow Windows to manage the virtual memory. I set a size for a static swap file that always exists. I use the old Unix formula for swap space which is 2 times the physical memory. Since I have 256MB physical RAM I set a 512MB swap file. I did this a while back to improve game performance, since every time windows falls below a certain memory threshold it allocates some hard drive space to virtual memory, this can cause jerkiness when movies are playing in the game. I know that Microsoft advises against users managing virtual memory. This is something that can be safely tested and restored back if it does not appear to help the freeze problem for some people. I am really grasping at this point. I was just thinking what might be different in my configuration than the people having this problem.