Author Topic: YUCK - Linux Driver?  (Read 8868 times)

Tura

YUCK - Linux Driver?
« on: May 11, 2004, 10:01:37 pm »
Hi guys...anyone got any recommendation how to obtain some Linux drivers for the ATI Radeon Mobility 9000? Its for a Siemens Fujitsu Amilo A 7620 notebook....

Siemens doesnt offer any drivers, and even the win xp ones are SUPER old, ATI doesnt either...omega doesnt support linux....

Any other clues? same for some other unidentified hardware for linux...like USB (From what I remember starting the live eval)

Phoenix

Re:YUCK - Linux Driver?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:20:46 pm »
just dont??? is that an option???

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:46:59 pm »
wierd. . . thought ATI is supporting linux, or upto some point  .. .

Have you tried the normal Radeon ones ?

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

Which linux install have you tried.

Phoenix answer ironically has ome truth in it .. . some Linux distro's might have default support for it.
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

Tura

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 10:19:48 am »
I wasn't sure if I can try the normal 9000 instead of mobility 9000. Don`t wanna screw up my chip or so by doing it....

Hmm Well I ordered the Suse Linux 9.1 professional (They didnt have an up to date download, besides I think the box would look cool in my shelf :p)

I downloaded the 9.0 live eval from suse (it boots off the cd so you can check it out how compatible and stuff it was) and it gave me the ati chip as unknown, as well as some usb devices and via components. I will just install 9.1 and see what it all can`t find then and then see what I can do. It found something else for display, I forgot what that was named. Display worked fine anyways 1024x768 resoultion it just buggs me to see unkown hardware entries :-)

It should arrive tomorrow, I will keep you updated if the newb that I am got it installed fine and all. Man I like all the boot up info showing up on linux, makes it look important, LOL.

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 12:37:37 pm »
it never hurts to give it a try for the drivers :)

have fun installing. . . ;)

The first time I installed Linux I lost one hard drive and a mouse .. . not to forget the comm port still attatched to the mouse when I threw it round and round my room. . .. ;D

Tura

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 01:46:01 pm »
LOL great sooooo encouraging....but why did you lose the HDD?

Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 11:49:09 pm »
You dont wanna know.. he blew his hdd...
Linux blows.. ;D
lol.. ;D ;D ;D

Tura

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 11:57:40 am »
lol this sucks. HAHAH
I installed linux, and saw, oh no 3D acceleration installed. So I download 9600 driver from ATI, install them, and now the KDE doesnt boot up, only console. So i am like great now, when i type in command "kde" it says $Display not set. Any idea how to uninstall drivers from console or should i just reinstall whole Linux?

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 02:09:29 pm »
you can use the previous display drivers. . although if you want the easy way out reinstallig is quicker .. if you want the learning way trying to find workable drivers is better. . . but it can take a while. . . .

Tura

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 02:12:28 pm »
i should have read more carefully when installing the drivers, i reinstalled and did it again to see what might have gone wrong, even if it is a download for the radon 9600....its for a different xfree version as 4.3.0, but mine is higher than that....something like 4.3.X besides that there was also a note its only for firegl and some older radeons, bleh. hehe
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 02:19:15 pm by Tura »

Tura

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 12:42:19 pm »
tested around a bit....now how can i enable 3d acceleration under linux? even if i chose a radon 9700 as my graphic card it doesnt enable it....

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 09:40:19 am »
Can this be of any help ?

Tura

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 12:40:23 pm »
almost, thanks. It only supports up to radeon 9200 though, will keep looking there

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 04:22:33 am »
Yet another reason to stick with NVidia, better Linux support.