Author Topic: Driver for a GeForce 4 MX  (Read 7033 times)

Argon Vex

Driver for a GeForce 4 MX
« on: December 14, 2003, 08:57:54 pm »
I'm reinstalling my PC as I type this, and I have a question, what's the best driver for a GeForce 4 MX 440? The official nVidia one, or another driver?

And if it's the official driver, which one? The newest or an older one?
Incase it's important: I (now) have Windows XP

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
Re:Driver for a GeForce 4 MX
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 09:21:58 pm »
The official nVidea drivers should do fine. :)
Newest release.
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

Argon Vex

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 09:30:18 pm »
Ok, thanks a lot!

Atomic Mitten

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 01:59:49 am »
The official nVidea drivers should do fine. :)
Newest release.

Why do you say that gryphon ? the Omega drivers are much better than the Nvidia original drivers , including the latest Detonator drivers from Nvidia.
As I have the exact same graphics card in my Athlon computer, I have tried all the various Nvidia drivers from 20,72 to 52,16.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 02:01:29 am by Atomic Mitten »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 02:45:08 am »
because you are not the only one who is running with the same card. ;)
Running Generels [ with the little houses on them, Rottevis will know who I am refering to. .. the guy panicing to find Omega drivers as he didn't have them on his big ass laptop Radeon ;) ], and most other games without any problems. It's even doing ok with a second PCI grafics card in the same computer.
Although at the time it has been downgraded not to play games on it, as I need it to much for other things. When I was using the card for games, it did it's job as it should.
[ with the exeption of the second latest all-in-wonder drivers from nVidia, which as a true wonder worked with about 20% of the cards they should be working on :P ]

If there would be any problems with nVidia's own dirvers I sugest to try the Omega ones, although as he didn't try them jet. . I would say origional drivers are preferable.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 02:46:27 am by gryphon »
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

RotteVis

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 10:51:07 am »
Try both and look what runs best.

I?ll give an example:
At this moment I?m using original Catalyst drivers (3.9) because the Omega drivers don?t work. But a verseion earlier (3.8), the original didn?t work and the Omega did. So it changes which version runs better
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:40:37 am by RotteVis »

Atomic Mitten

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 11:34:14 am »
I would say origional drivers are preferable

Well I wouldn't .lol

RotteVis

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 01:08:34 pm »
It's about which driver, original / omega / other 3th party driver. The brand ain't the issue. Just giving an example why ppl should take the original or another.

Bravo

Re: Driver for a GeForce 4 MX
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 08:41:27 am »
Guys You should always try the Original Board certified Drivers first, remember that these drivers are engineered for Compatibility? and best possible performance without compromising that compatibilty.? Remember that your computer is a Melting pot of drivers and other software running from multiple companies written by multiple Coders, The biggest problem Facing drivers Is usually Hardware/software compatibility in such an environment, Genuine Drivers (Un-modded) Will always have the largest range of compatibility when in such a mixed up environment, as they are engineered for such a purpose, Also remember that the reverse is also true(Places like Omega Drivers have reverse engineered drivers that were reverse engineered by one guy, Tested on his personal bare bones machine and have no compatibility or safety guarantees). If your drivers run fine and you have no lag ...? LET IT BE ( dont fix what aint broke). The only reason to ever install a third party driver is Because the original? drivers aint cutting the mustard, or Official releases are causing issues( rare, but happens),? Now if You find your card is getting outdated and lagging in games then you might want to try Installing Third party drivers or even think about OC'n your card,Vid-card Bios Tweaks, But if it works and is Doing what it needs to do, leave it alone

P.s. If your going to install 3rd Party Drivers, Be sure You know How to un-install, Work in safe mode or possibly reformat and reload your comp, as Sometimes these drivers and software can Cause exceptions that will cause you to need to go this route, Possibly even Hardware Failure.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:45:35 am by Bravo »