Author Topic: NVidia Graphics Card Problem  (Read 18128 times)

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
Re:NVidia Graphics Card Problem
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2004, 12:57:18 am »
As far as BIOS versions you are correct that 1007 is the latest for your motherboard. I think you are fine with 1006 though. Asus does not really describe any differences between any of the BIOS versions for your motherboard though they do for some of the others. I agree that they have a poor website.

As a general rule you should install the OS, Chipset drivers, specific hardware drivers(IE video card, sound card, etc..) and finally the latest version of Direct X. I am guessing part of your problem now is that Direct X may need to be reinstalled as well or something like that.  Did you download the Via 4in1 drivers linked from the Asus website?

http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=10&l3_id=21&m_id=2&f_name=4in1_449.zip~zaqwedc

Sounds like a tough problem. If reinstalling everything does not work it may be a hardware problem with your motherboard or the video card itself. Did you recently purchase the hardware and build it yourself?

Ryman24

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2004, 01:05:30 am »
I had recently bought the Motherboard, Processor, and Video Card and installed it all myself. I have installed the system like the order you said before and the same crash happened. If I were to replace the hardware, would you say to replace the Motherboard or Video Card.

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2004, 01:37:58 am »
It's hard to tell which is the problem if it is indeed the hardware. One way of checking would be to try the video card in another motherboard and see if the problem persists. You could also try another video card in your motherboard if you have access to another. Unfortunately trial and error is the only way to test this stuff.

Atomic Mitten

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2004, 01:39:42 am »
What power supply did you put in your comp ?

You might check the fan connection to your CPU fan, and that the heatsink is correctly fitted,It sounds like a heat or power problem.

Whilst your at it check all cables and connections, including the power cable going into the PC case socket, if this is loose it will do this too.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 01:40:45 am by Atomic Mitten »

Ryman24

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2004, 03:07:54 am »
Fortunate for me, my Uncle has all the same parts as me, and the game runs fine at his computer, so I'll try some parts in there.

My power supply in the Enlight 420 W Model EN-8420934. I have two fans, the fan on the power supply, and two external case fan. They both run normally, I checked them using the ASUS Probe. Plus I have the CPU Fan.

The attachment on here is for Atomic, it's under "World's Most Advanced GPU-NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200".

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:56:16 am by Ryman24 »

Atomic Mitten

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2004, 01:02:27 pm »
http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=522

Well there not going to advertise that this card is slower than cheaper cards, are they ?

Ryman24

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2004, 04:03:18 pm »
I'm going to try the Omega Drivers again, should I click Performance or Quality?

I can't unistall DirectX 9.0b, my games won't run without it.

And they can't false advertise a card is for DirectX 9 and then it not work with it, that's false advertisement.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:11:30 pm by Ryman24 »

Atomic Mitten

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2004, 04:24:08 pm »
I meant to un-install dx 9:0 and re-install it again, or even a previous version of dx.

It doesn't say it won't work with some games or that it's slower than other cards, they will just say that benchmarks arn't accurate or something else.

The best way to install any drivers in win xp is to go to System,Hardware, device manager, then click on display, right click on the graphics card and select properties, from that menu select update driver and choose the location browse to the folder you created for the downloaded drivers and select that folder.

Don't let windows search for the best driver, it seldom works properly.
Also I always un-install the old drivers first then re-boot, then when windows detects the new hardware I cancel that, and do as I said before.

I selected the performance drivers, but you can try both if necessary.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:25:33 pm by Atomic Mitten »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2004, 04:48:56 pm »
And they can't false advertise a card is for DirectX 9 and then it not work with it, that's false advertisement.

I thought it's in the general EULA of all software that it comes without any warenty that it will actually work. It's a sort of safe gard for the developers.
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

Ryman24

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2004, 05:36:36 pm »
Here's what I did:

Before I'm going to install the Omega Drivers I took off the VIA Drivers and I'm going to run the games not in AGP Mode, this way, if the games don't cut off, I know I got a problem with my AGP slot. So right now the card is running in PCI Mode, just trying to figure out what's wrong.

Atomic Mitten

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2004, 06:22:18 pm »
Did you check all cable connections ? also try taking the card out of it's slot and re-seat it again.

Ryman24

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2004, 07:07:42 pm »
I've reseated the card, rechecked the cables, done all of that, I think I'm on to something, the games haven't crashed with the card running in PCI mode. Think my AGP Slot is bad on the Motherboard?

Offline Doc Nyar

• When I call your name, be sure to duck...
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
  • No one knows a lot, but combined we do
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2004, 12:18:05 am »
Does your BIOS have a turbo function for AGP ? If so, try turning it off (if it is enabled that is)..

Ryman24

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2004, 11:07:17 pm »
No, the BIOS doesn't have a turbo function for the AGP.

I've now run the VIA Chipset Drivers with three different kinds of Video Drivers (Detenator 53.03, Omega, and Default NVidia Display Driver). Without the VIA Drivers, (and AGP) the comp runs fine with no crashes, but once the VIA Drivers are loaded, the games crash, ASUS is no help to me and I've written them a million emails and they won't respond. I know you guys have put a lot of time in already and helped me out a lot, and thanks for that. This though sounds like a driver problem, or a AGP slot issue.

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2004, 11:10:38 pm »
Are you in any way able to try another video card (firends maybe) ?

And did you use the latest VIA chipset drivers ?

Another thing you could try, is to set AGP to 4x (if it's currently set to 8x that is).

Ryman24

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2004, 12:57:55 pm »
Hey, long time no chat. I've recently traded in my Motherboard and Processor for an Intel D8X5PERIL Motherboard and an Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2.60 GHz. Was playing a lot last night in AGP mode and the games ran beautifully, if this runs a couple of days I'll close the posts. I'd like to thank you guys for all of your great help and time.

Offline Doc Nyar

• Gameheaven Staff
  • CEO
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2004, 02:24:17 pm »
Good to hear that all seems to be okay now. Be sure to visit back regulary :)

Happy gaming !

Ryman24

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2004, 01:29:57 am »
Alright....games seem to be working....thanks for all of your help. See you guys around.