Author Topic: Advise on which version  (Read 6975 times)

Tura

Advise on which version
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:15:59 pm »
Hello guys,

I just won a nice notebook from siemens Amilo A series and am considering to install unix/linux on it since eventually I would like to study for some Administrator job and I am sure linux is required to be able to admin. I am a total noob on Linux/Unix though so I wonder if anyone can give me an advice with which version to start so I can get a hang of it, and to later switch to a more advanced version of it if that even exists.

Thanks in advance

Phoenix

Re:Advise on which version
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 08:17:04 pm »
In my opinion Linux RedHat 9.0.
Its well supported.
But what do you want to do with it.. just working with linux??
Then RedHat is ok..
Eventually if you setup an Apache server its also well supported.

Maybe Gryphon or RotteVis has any comment???

Btw... You can also dual boot Linux and Windows... if you want..

RotteVis

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 11:05:12 pm »
me and a comment on linux?

let linux burn in hell! (no flame intended, just my opinion when asked for it)

Take unix or take nothing, not a cheap rip off. And if you can?t work with unix go for windows just like me...

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 12:28:17 am »
that's the first time I have seen anyone take avice for Linux from RotteVis. . ;)

but why stick with Redhat 9 if there is a 10 ? . .. Redhad has changed the way it offers Linux. You can get the home version 10.X also kows as the Vedora release. Or the enterprise Linux version still being released as Redhat Enterprise Linux. Currently 3.X

If you'd like to have the most pure version of Linux Gentoo might be the best option. Else SuSe or Redhat are the most commen. Personally I prefer Redhat and currently the Enterprise release.

What are your plans with Linux ? .. if you want to get more known with it for admin needs you should learn it without the grafical interfase.

And installing Linux on a nootbook can bring more problems then you have bargend for .  . ;) a friend of mine needed half a day of compiling Gentoo to get his nootbook fan to work :P .  . He did manage to run UT2k3  .. after 2 days or so . . . . :P
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

Tura

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 01:45:33 pm »
And installing Linux on a nootbook can bring more problems then you have bargend for .  . ;) a friend of mine needed half a day of compiling Gentoo to get his nootbook fan to work :P .  . He did manage to run UT2k3  .. after 2 days or so . . . . :P

What? How could that be an issue? *looks puzzled*

Well I am not a fan of dual boot personally and dunno only game I really play is NWN most of the time. Other than that, some online banking and surfing and e-mailing is all I really care for. Listen to some music / mp3 and messin around with em in cool edit or so is also fun. Oh yah and also do some digi cam stuff with it (If I am on vacation and the SD-CARD gets full so i can copy it down on the notebook and sort pictures out and stuff) But yes mostly I want some decent linux/unix version (whats the difference anyways?) where I can play around in trying to get the feel for it. Maybe try to set up linux as a router or some e-mail server maybe. I really don`t have much clue about linux/unix obviously, but I think if you want an IT career you need to know linux and windows well....And best I learn from doing it
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 01:46:55 pm by Tura »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 02:38:28 pm »
What? How could that be an issue? *looks puzzled*

just wait untill you have to mount those digital memory cards on your notebook . . ;)

I would suggest to start familuarising yourself with a grafical version of Linux [ SuSe or Redhat, mayby a pre-compiled version of Gentoo ] and explore from there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 07:19:51 pm by gryphon »

Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 06:45:06 pm »
BTW.. I suck at linux too.... so im at RotteVis' side..

btw.. why is
"[ color=Red] [ /color][ color=Yellow][ /color][ color=Pink][ /color]"
in my message box when i wanna reply??
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 06:46:05 pm by Phoenix »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 07:21:10 pm »
I presume you have by accident pressed the buttons for those font collors.

Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 10:40:24 am »
dunno why, i just pressed reply nothing more, nothing less....

well what ever... its back normal again...

Tura

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 08:27:33 am »
I downloaded suse linux 9.0 from the Hamburg mirror.
I was like geesh thats like 3,5 gigs to download!
After a few days it got done...now...is there a way to parallel install it to win XP? I tried to set a 2nd partition but it wont let me....?

Oh yah and how to install I am  bit confused yet, do i need to make a boot DVD?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 08:27:58 am by Tura »

Phoenix

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 05:31:25 pm »
think you need to install winXP first on a partition created with the installation... when finishing that, install linux onto an other partition which you created with that same xp installation

Tura

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 10:15:30 pm »
damn there is no way? I dont want to reinstall all the stuff for xp again...*bummer*

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 11:17:30 pm »
Is that second partition a NTFS one ?

If so you can't install Linux on that. Just delete the second partition and use EXT3 for filesytem.

Besides Linux needs a swap partition, some installations won't let you proceed if you havn't defined a swap partition. And last . . . the boot partition of Linux needs to be below cilinder 1024 else it won't work or you will need another boot loader.

If you have free unalocated space on your hard drive you can setup Linux on that disk. Although could you elaborate more on but it wont let me....?.

What error do you get and and what point of the installation do you get that error.

You mentioned that you want to try Linux because you want to become an network admin, one of te first things you should know is to be straight to the point and clear. So not just it won't let me. . that's more a users kind of attitude .. . but specify what error you get at which point, maybe even software version and other relative information. ;)
Besides that. . . you are the admin .. no software is telling you it won't let you do it. . who is in charge here. . . ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 11:20:13 pm by gryphon »

Tura

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 10:23:33 pm »
well the it won`t let me is that the xp disc manager just doesnt give me the option to change the partition size as I am used to it under windows 2000. I guess a fresh install would be better anyways to do. I just wonder how to set up a boot disc, since my notebook doesnt have a floppy....

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 11:40:45 pm »
so your current WinXP partition fills youw whole disk ?

You can change the partition with Partition Magic. Or with Fdisk from Linux, although Partition Magic is more user friendly and safer. :)

You can use a boot CD :)

Phoenix

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 09:55:47 am »
Note: using a boot cd and changing your partitions will effect your installation. Probably you need to reinstall afterwards...

Disk manager in XP is indeed not usable for changing you existing disks...

As Gryphon said use Partition magic to change your partitions in a save way...

Tura

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 12:13:24 pm »
Well as said in another thread I bought suse linux 9.1 professional. The Enterprise version are too spendy for just getting familiar with linux to some extend. I will just end up deleting the whole partition and make it fully linux. As said before I am not much of a fan of dual boot, mostly for the reasons of filesystem compatibility (I dont like FAT, lol) Unless Linux can read NTFS partitions...then i might settle for a dual install so i can still work stuff in case I need a working OS on the move with my laptop.

What Partition sizes would you suggest for a linux/windows dual boot if it works on a 60 gb disc? 40 gb windows, 20 gb linux? how large are average linux applications?

I think you guys are really l33t :-) Thanks for all the help I've gotten so far from you guys:-)

Edit: Oh I just saw that it says its compatible to any windows install....I guess just the eval version didnt support NTFS then:-)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 12:15:17 pm by Tura »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 12:33:40 pm »
You should have full support in reading NTFS partitions with Linux, depending on the programms used sometimes write support is possible to.

From just experimenting with Linux 40 / 20 sound nice. :)

although most Linux programms are quit small. . . a few kilo byte to e few MB's. There are exeptions but those are mostly games and full office suites.

Tura

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 01:48:47 pm »
Well it comes with like 2 DVDS  :o :o
And i read that the full install for the pro version is about 6 GIG
nooow.....if I ever want to have some game testing too under it the space may run dim...With just some basic games and appz under xp i already used 25 gig :-(

Another question, how large is a typical linux swapfile (if linux uses it?)

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 01:59:45 pm »
just make it about 50% or half of your RAM. :)

Tura

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 02:04:48 pm »
wow only 256 MB swapfile? that'd be a dream under windows with 512 MB RAM, LOL

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 09:17:02 pm »
sorry. . :$ .. my mistake.

it should have been RAM plus 50% of your amount of ram as total swa size. So SWAP = 150% RAM
Although officially it's more something like SWAP = 2*RAM. Usually 256  500 MB of SWAP will be sufficient.
I am running without swap compleately. . ..

Phoenix

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 11:52:24 pm »
Twice the RAM is more than enough...

Just to let linux swap between ram and "virtual" ram..

ANd if gryphon can without any swap, i wont use to much for that...