Author Topic: Windows Reinstall  (Read 6089 times)

Shazim

Windows Reinstall
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:31:55 am »
Im trying to reformat my computer, and reinstall windows xp sp2, however, when I try to , I get relatively far and then get an error

Stop:0x00000051 (0x00000001, 0xe1242090, 0x0025f000, 0x0000025f) it also says that I may have to disable memory caching and shadowing, but I am unsure how. I'm pretty sure that this is all just a memory problem, but any idea on how to fix it so I can reinstall?

Any input would be appreciated

Thank You

Phoenix

Re: Windows Reinstall
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:00:57 pm »
what kind of computer do you have?
how much ram? and cpu?

MetalHead

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 04:28:44 pm »
If you think its a memory thing, download the memorychecker from microsoft : http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp and let it scan a while

You can disable cashing in the BIOS settings of your computer, but i'd doubt that it will be the problem.

Here is some reading material, but i dont think it will make you wiser. The info is Win200 related, as this error 51 is not an "official" XP-error : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/442.asp

Are you sure you have formatted the drive you are installing the XP on ?

Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:38 pm »
It could be a possible bad memory..
or a bad installation disk of XP-sp2
or a bad sector on your disk

depending on your memory installed now, if you have 2 memory slots used, remove the ram from the 2nd slot and try again, if it still happens, replace the one remaining with the one you took out..
If the install is succesfull in one of the two ways, the memory which is out, could be dead..

If it is still happening.
try to make a partition on your disk larger then 3 G, then install to the remaining diskspace,
if its succesfull now, your disk has badsectors on which the install crashes

If it still happens.
It could be your installation disk which is corrupt...

Try some and let us know...