Author Topic: Which One?  (Read 4531 times)

A NO0B

Which One?
« on: July 30, 2006, 01:25:05 am »
I have a AMD Athalon 64 2800 processor, with 512 ram atm, and i was wondering what would be the best linux to run on it, that is a 64 bit OS .

Offline number6

• Be seeing you.
  • Gameheaven Staff
  • Team Leader
Re: Which One?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:47:01 am »
I of course would recommend gentoo linux if you know a lot about linux/unix. Gentoo lets you configure very specifically to your hardware.? Otherwise I am sure all of the major commercial distributions have a 64 bit release/ SuSe linux comes to mind.

A NO0B

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 05:06:10 am »
i have actually read up a bit on Gentoo.....there was a 100+ page instilation guide, lol, skimmed through it, so SuSe is also a 64 bit one(free as with all other linux right)

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:38:07 am »
SuSe is free and so is the Fedora version. I used Fedora on an AMD x64 2 weeks ago.

I must admit. I used to be a verry big Linux / RedHat fan. But are currently switching to Solaris. Redhat was great for me. But it lacks a verry important aspect if you ask me. (so do most other Linux distributions) Uniformity and overal support.
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:26:30 pm »
redhat and fedore came to my mind too..

but as gryphon said...

But it lacks a verry important aspect if you ask me. (so do most other Linux distributions) Uniformity and overal support.