Author Topic: Dune 2000 on Vista 64bit  (Read 12132 times)

Da_Ze_Ir

Dune 2000 on Vista 64bit
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:15:22 am »
I have dual core (Intel Dual Core 2), Vista business 64bit.

Basically, it says setup can't run on my system because of incompatibility with 64 bit versions of windows.
I have run Planescape Torment and Birth of the Federation with no problems, actually running better than before (I had crashes on previous systems, Vista seems more stable).

On the other image I couldn't attach (more attachments button doesn't work) it says thai it can't find F:\SETUP\INSTALL.exe (after I press OK on previous).

Also, I had thought that Dune was 32 bit, bun on the bar I see it is 16bit???
What x-bit are other games from the time? What about my two examples of games?

I have searched and found that Vista no longer supports 16 bit programs as XP did, and I also read that a solution is yet to be programmed.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:19:00 pm by Da_Ze_Ir »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
  • nothing can seem fool to those that winn. ...
Re: Dune 2000 on Vista 64bit
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:27:54 pm »
Dune 2000 is an DOS application. Officialy Vista doesn't support them.
You can try to change the memory settings and compatibility mode for the application although I doubt Vista let's you install it.
Expect anything, and life will become boring...

Da_Ze_Ir

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:45:15 pm »
Dune 2000 is an DOS application. Officialy Vista doesn't support them.
You can try to change the memory settings and compatibility mode for the application although I doubt Vista let's you install it.

No, it is a Windows 95\98 program running on 16bit. I am certain of it as I have tried it on DosBox and it says it wants Win32.

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:46:48 pm »
You are right, I was mistaken it with Dune2. :)

Anyway, dune2k is a 16bit application and as such not supported in Vista. And yet to be programmed is probably never.  ..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:05:11 pm by gryphon »

Da_Ze_Ir

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:23:55 pm »
And yet to be programmed is probably never.  ..

Not if they make somethibg like dosbox for win 16bit.

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:49:55 pm »
If you use an emulator or virtual machine to run Dune2000 in Vista you will have no troubles running the game.

Download your favourite emulator and run it. Just make sure you have the DOS version of Dune2000 if you plan to use DOSbox.

Running a (unsupported) 16bit or DOS applications in Vista (not in an emulator) is never gon'na happen (if it's up to MS).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:52:48 pm by gryphon »

Da_Ze_Ir

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 07:03:24 am »
I have some good news. Somebody on another forum suggested I try the game from some link.

After I extract the archive, it works (no movies and version 1.02). This means DUNE 2000 WORKS ON VISTA.
Of course, this is a cracked version. I couldn't patch it successfully or run rotorzconnect because it only pasted some files with no install. It seems an install is needed, not just the files.

Somebody pleaaaase patch thet setup file. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:31:17 pm by Da_Ze_Ir »

Offline gryphon

• Just me...
  • Administrator
  • Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:35:47 am »
you can patch the setup file, although the reason MSI blocks the installation of specific applications is that they for one do not play well with Vista's memory management system. When you circumvent that your just asking for trouble. Probably resulting in an unstable Windows version when the game is running and guess who get's blamed for that. .. . :)

like I posted on Fed2k. Best way to run it is with an emulator or within a virtual machine.

Da_Ze_Ir

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 12:40:02 pm »
you can patch the setup file, although the reason MSI blocks the installation of specific applications is that they for one do not play well with Vista's memory management system. When you circumvent that your just asking for trouble. Probably resulting in an unstable Windows version when the game is running and guess who get's blamed for that. .. . :)

like I posted on Fed2k. Best way to run it is with an emulator or within a virtual machine.

Since there is no emulator, how do I go about the virtual machine? Do I have to install another OS to run under it? That is a lot of trouble.. not that I haven't spent days hanging around this (not just this).

Probably the "setup won't work" is the only error, I haven't had any problems with my other things and so Vista seems very stable, much more than XP. I have no real programming skills so patching setup is not for me.